The availability of kosher food is limited in the Atlantic Provinces and there are no kosher restaurants or delis. In the Atlantic Provinces, the main supermarkets — Sobeys and Superstore — carry the majority of the limited kosher products. There are no kosher meats or poultry or kosher wines available on Prince Edward Island (or salad dressings, except Miracle Whip).
In Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island, Ben’s bread (including loaf bread and all hamburger and hot dog buns) is kosher. The packages do not contain the symbol, but they have been supervised by Kaf-K. Ben’s bread is widely available throughout the Maritimes in supermarkets and small convenience stores.
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Superstore on Quinpool Road and Superstore on Barrington are once again bringing in kosher meat and poultry. At the Quinpool Road location, the meat is located at the back of the store in the last freezer door on the left hand side (near its former location). At the Barrington Street location, the meat is located at the back of the store in the last freezer door on the right hand side (in its former location).
The Beth Israel Synagogue’s web page also has information on keeping kosher in Halifax. Please click here to visit and learn more.
- Stone Hearth Bakery: Halifax (902) 454-2851
Bakes Challah for Shabbat and special breads for the Jewish holidays.
- Sobeys: 1120 Queen Street, Halifax (902) 422-9884
Regular limited stock of kosher products (including frozen meats/poultry) and they special order for the Jewish holidays.
- Superstore Supermarket: Barrington St. Market-1075 Barrington Street, Halifax (902) 492-3240
Selection of kosher products (including frozen meat/poultry) and they special order for Passover.
- Chabad Kosher Delights: contact Bassie Feldman 457-7698
Kosher catering under the supervision of Chabad of the Maritimes.
- Pete’s Frootique: 1515 Dresden Row, Halifax (902) 425-5700
Selection of speciality kosher dry products and breads.
The British Butcher, at Pete’s Frootique, will attempt to locate and special order any requested kosher meats (902) 832-0223
- Bishop’s Cellar: Bishop’s Landing, Lower Water Street, Halifax (902) 490-2675
Good selection of kosher wines.
- Ben’s Bakery:
Loaf bread and all hamburger and hot dog buns are kosher although the packages do not contain the symbol; they have been supervised by kaf-k.
Ben’s bread is widely available throughout Nova Scotia. Ben’s factory outlet location: Pepperell Street between Preston Street and Vernon Street.
Fredericton, New Brunswick
- Superstore Supermarket: 471 Smythe St (506) 459-3544
- Victory Meat Market: Frozen Kosher poultry, challa, and many more Kosher products. 334 King Street, Fredericton (506) 458-8480
- Scoop & Save – An entire Kosher section. 934 Prospect Street, Fredericton, (506) 459-7676
Moncton, New Brunswick
- Superstore Supermarket: Moncton Market 165 Main Street, at the intersection of Main Street & Route 15 (506) 852-2060
A limited amount of dry goods available.
- Rinzler’s Meat Market: 808 Mountain Road, Moncton (506) 853-6060
frozen whole chickens and turkeys.
- Superstore: University Ave. and Belvedere Ave
President Choice line, have many common items with hechsher (kosher symbols) – especially COR, OU (U inside an O), and MK – including, for example: grape juice (only recently available), yogurt, bagels, tortillas, lots of items in cans and jars, packaged crackers, cookies, snacks, ice creams, frozen packs of prepared fish steaks, and lox (smoked salmon), pickled herring, Yves line of Veggie Burgers, cans of salmon and tuna, and Asiago hard cheese.
- Sobeys supermarket:
Similar kosher items as Superstore. Their Our Compliments line also has several types of hard cheese (sliced, vacuum-wrapped) in the deli cheese section. Ordinary cheddar is seldom available. Packaged prepared fish may be available under the Heritage label.
- Bulk Barn:
Some scoop items are also available.
- Ben’s breads:
Multi-grains, Ben’s Holsum hamburger and hot dog buns, are kosher under the supervision of the Kof-K but do not carry a symbol locally.