The Atlantic Jewish Council (AJC) has been the cornerstone of Jewish life in the Atlantic Canadian provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI, and Newfoundland & Labrador) since 1975, acting as the organized Jewish community’s representative and program/service provider for non-religious matters. With only a small staff complement and a modest budget, the AJC relies on the support of over 100 volunteers across Atlantic Canada to move the needle on our eight strategic priorities:
- Building a sense of Jewish community across Atlantic Canada;
- Strengthening Jewish identity amongst the Jews of Atlantic Canada, especially our youth;
- Reinforcing the regional identity of the Atlantic Canadian Jewish community;
- Supporting and connecting Atlantic Canadians to Israel;
- Educating about the Holocaust and human rights;
- Helping those in need in our community;
- Fostering relationships with and representing the Atlantic Jewish population to all levels of government, academic institutions, and Jewish and general organizations at both the national and local level; and
- Educating the community of Atlantic Canada at large about Judaism.
Our national and international partners include:
- The Jewish Joint Distribution Committee: Provides food, healthcare, and social services to hundreds of thousands of poor and elderly Jews across the world.
- The Jewish Agency for Israel: Inspires Jews worldwide to connect with their people, heritage, and land by strengthening Jewish identity in youth in the Diaspora and Israel.
- Jewish Federations of Canada – United Israel Appeal : This program helps Canadian Jewish youth strengthen their Jewish identities with programs like March of the Living and Birthright Israel and connects Atlantic Canada to Israel
- The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs: The advocacy agent of the Jewish Federations of Canada that, among other things, fights antisemitism across our country and fosters strong relationships between Israeli and Canadian leaders.
Please know that our door is always open should you want to learn more about, get involved with, or partner on any of our year-round activities.
To learn more about the activities we do and the actions we take to accomplish these facets of our mission, please take a look at our 2018 Annual Report!