The AJC is thrilled to have brought a schlicha (Israeli emissary) to Atlantic Canada for the first time in many years!
Our schlicha, Lucy Kleinerman, is from Rehovot, Israel. Recently, Lucy completed a year as a JAFI Israel Fellow at Hillel York University in Toronto. As an Israel Fellow, Lucy was working with the Jewish students on campus, creating and leading events and activities on issues that are connected to Israel and Judaism.
Lucy received a B.Ed. from the Kibbutzim College of Education in Tel Aviv in 2014. Previous to that, she served in the IDF in the medical corps. She has significant experience in leading and working with groups of various ages – children, teenagers and adults. She has taught in summer camps, student seminars, MASA Israel programs and at the Weizmann Institute of Science. She speaks three languages – Hebrew, English and Russian.
Lucy is very excited to be back in Canada for the second time as a Shlicha, this time for the Atlantic Jewish Council in partnership with the Canadian Zionist Federation and the Department for Diaspora Activities of the World Zionist Organization.
Between August 15th and October 15th, Lucy did the following:
- Spoke at the Shaar Shalom Synagogue
- Helped run the AJC’s Israel booth at Halifax’s multicultural festival
- Ran a weekly conversational Hebrew lesson series (seven 2-hour classes)
- Cooked a vegan Shabbat for young adults
- Spoke at the Beth Israel Synagogue
- Helped run a pre-Rosh HaShanah apple-picking program
- Cooked and attended Rosh HaShanah dinner at Hillel
- Tabled on campus with Hillel at Dalhousie, Saint Mary’s University, and Memorial University
- Organized two screenings and discussions of the documentary “Ben Gurion: Epilogue”
- Guest taught several classes at the Halifax Hebrew School
- Led a teen leadership activity about Israel
- Organized a lecture by David Levy, the Consul General of Israel to Quebec & Atlantic Canada at Memorial University
- Spoke at a Shabbat dinner at Shaarei Zedek Synagogue in Saint John
- Cooked vegan hot-dogs at the AJC’s Annual pre-Rosh HaShanah BBQ
- Led a pre-Rosh HaShanah kids’ apple crisp cooking program
- Organized a sukkah-decorating activity for the Halifax Hebrew School
- Played Paula Ben Gurion during the 100th Anniversary Commemoration of the Jewish Legion in Windsor, NS
- Ran an all Russian/Hebrew sukkah-decorating activity
- Ran an Israeli cooking lesson at the Shaar Shalom Synagogue
- Spoke about Israel at several public schools including Basinview Drive Community School and Hammonds Plains Consolidated Elementary
To read a recent CJN article about Lucy’s time in Atlantic Canada, please click here: